Saturday 22 June 2013

Windermere Summer Solstice Race

It was supposed to be summer. It didn't feel like summer as we readied ourselves for the race- the longest lake on the longest day. The forecast was for south westerly force 4 wind all day with gusts up to force 6 and that is exactly what we got.
Here I am trying not to embarass myself at before I even get to the start line. It's a wobbly boat that I've been in just four times before, and always in very calm conditions.


Getting to the start line wasn't too bad. Trying not to fall in while we waited for the race to start was a bit more of a problem.


Here I am underway. This bit of lake doesn't look too choppy.


 That soon changed. Just look at the sailing boats. I am keeping very close to the shore as I am never quite certain that I am not going to fall out of my boat.


Another picture which just about shows how windy it was.


Just about to cross the finish line. I am exhausted. Partly because I have just paddled 17km in a race and partly because of the amounts of energy I expended just keeping the boat upright. It was a relief to finish in a time of 2hrs 3 minutes. This placed me 12th overall.


1 comment:

  1. This looks like so much fun! I love to do anything on or in the water. This seems like a killer workout also.

    Alena | http://mauipaddlesports.com/canoe-rides

    ReplyDelete